Saturday, June 4, 2016

5 Gluten-Free Desserts to Bring to a BBQ this Summer

IMG_1157When my son and I were diagnosed with celiac disease in 2011, I ran out and bought several gluten-free baking cookbooks. After multiple failures, I became incredibly frustrated. Of the few recipes that actually worked, even fewer satisfied my cravings for the gluten-full desserts of my not-so-distant memory. I began to experiment on my own and ultimately went to culinary school to perfect my recipe development skills. Upon graduating, I interned and then worked in the Bon Appétit Magazine test kitchen.



I now create my own dessert recipes. I even developed several for Bon Appétit's website. Trust me when I tell you I had to impress the taste buds of some pretty harsh critics (the BA Editors) to get those recipes published and I am proud to say they loved them. They even asked me to give advise to their readers on avoiding some of the most common gluten-free baking mistakes.



Lately it seems more and more people are following a gluten-free diet. It's no secret Celiac disease and gluten intolerance are becoming more prevalent. On several occasions, I've had friends who've gone above and beyond to prepare gluten-free options for my kids and me when they invite us to their homes. While it is never expected, it is always appreciated. It's more than appreciated. It's an unforgettable kindness.



Here are 5 amazing gluten-free desserts you should bring to a barbecue this summer. None of your friends will taste the difference however, you may just touch the heart of someone like me or my kids who wouldn't have expected to be able to eat any dessert they didn't bring themselves.



Gluten-Free/Nut-Free Fruit Tart - Nothing screams Summer louder than berries and cream in a decadent pastry shell.



fruit-tart



Gluten-Free Nutella Brownies - Because, Nutella. Need I say more?



Nutella BlondiesMini Coconut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting - Just one perfectly moist little cupcake will satisfy everyone's craving.



coconut-cupcakes



Chocolate Fudge Pops - the kids will never guess the secret, healthy ingredient in these incredibly rich frozen treats.



chocolate-avocado-fudge-pop



Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Shiraz Poached Pears with Almond Ice Cream - this delicious and refreshing dessert is wonderful for entertaining because you can make the pears one day ahead and the flavor will intensify.



Shiraz-Poached Pears with Almond Vanilla Ice Cream



 

-- This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

1 comment:

  1. you have nice information about gluten free dessert recipes. i also have blog about gluten free dessert.

    ReplyDelete