Thursday, June 2, 2016

Do You Hate Vegetables?

2016-06-01-1464824283-4764956-sugarsnappeas.JPG



I lived my early life thinking that vegetables were a necessary but evil part of a meal. At my house my mother used the boil-to-death method of cooking carrots, peas, broccoli and corn on the cob. Asparagus, spinach, mushrooms and green beans came out of a can. Luckily she had never heard of eggplant. Meanwhile, my grandmother's beet-red borscht looked like a bowl of blood.



Eventually I grew up and, after tasting fresh peas right out of their pods, realized I had been misinformed. I ate real borscht in Moscow, fried artichokes in Rome and okra in New Delhi. I liked the spicy garlic eggplant someone ordered for me in Hong Kong. Now I happily drive 5 miles out of my way to stock up on super-fresh vegetables--including bok choy, kale and chard. I even tried mustard greens the other day.



I was reminded of my one-time vegetable aversion this morning when I got an email from a 40-year-old acquaintance named Eric, who is about to become a first-time father. In answer to my request to pick out a sandwich I was getting for him, he said, "I'll take the grilled pesto chicken breast (no lettuce or tomato, because I am a four year old)."



To Eric I dedicate this very easy recipe.



Two-Minute Sugar Snap Peas - serves 3-4



1/2 pound fresh sugar snap peas

1 teaspoon olive or canola oil



Rinse the sugar snap peas. Pull off the strings on both sides of each pea pod by snapping 1/4-inch off the stem end and tugging.



Add the oil to a medium pot, frying pan or wok and begin heating over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the sugar snap peas and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, or until a few of them start getting brown and blistery. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot or at room temperature.



Photo by Nancy Mills



Connect with Nancy Mills at momscookinghelp

-- This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

No comments:

Post a Comment